It is a lot of money, we are aware of that and do everything we can to keep costs down. However, we have seen God provide time and again for people when they come to do the course.
The most important thing you can do is pray. God is faithful and many people who have done the course have miraculous stories of his provision.
Here are some great ways of raising money to fund the Discipleship Year (thanks to our friends at Soul61 for these suggestions):
- Ask 25 people (they don’t all have to be Christians!) to sponsor you £10 a month or 50 people to sponsor you £5 a month for the 10 months of the course. Sponsors could set up a transfer direct into your or our bank account. = £250 a month = £2750!
- Run a movie & popcorn night at home. £10 entry x 10 people = £100
- Do a car wash to raise funds. £5 a car x 20 cars = £100
- Ask for money towards your fees instead of having birthday or Christmas presents. £100?
- Clear out your bedroom and have a car boot sale or sell your stuff on eBay or gumtree and put the profits towards your fees. £150?
- Odd jobs – we can all help decorate a friend’s home, help them in the garden, walk their dog etc. – £100?
- Sponsored event – run a 10k, cycle a 10k, walk a 10k, or sit in silence for 24 hours with nothing to give you company other than your sister’s hamster! £250?
- Ask your home church for financial support as well as for prayer support.
- If you have your own savings you can of course use those.
- Work hard during the months before joining the Discipleship Year and save up your earnings.
- Produce a monthly prayer letter with stories of what you are looking forward to as you prepare for The Leadership Course and while on the course let people know what God is doing in you, remember to include photos, prayer points and information about how to donate.